Michael P. Shay
- Insurance Defense
- Personal Injury
Michael P. Shay is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School. (Perennially ranked in the top 10 Law Schools in the U.S.) His undergraduate degree is from Lehigh University, with highest honors, in English Literature. He is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Michael is a resident of the city of Bethehem. He and his high school sweetheart have been married since 1973. They have raised three children, who have given them eight grandchildren.
An active member of the Northampton County Bar Association since 1975, he has served as the Editor of the Northampton County Reporter, as Secretary, Treasurer, Vice President, and President (2017) of the NCBA. He has been and currently is a delegate to the Pennsylvania Bar Association House of Delegates.
Attorney Shay has served his community in multiple ways including, the St. Luke's Hospital Pre-Natal Ethics Committee, the City of Bethlehem Tourism Authority, the Lehigh University Alumni Association, St. Thomas UCC, and the Sun Inn Preservation Association.
In addition to his practice as an insurance defense lawyer since 1975, Mr. Shay has also served as a solicitor of the Borough of Bath, East Allen Township, Forks Township (current) and the Borough of Freemansburg (Current) Zoning Hearing Boards.
His interests and hobbies include golf, vegetable gardening, baking bread, grilling, working out, trips to Bethany Beach, theatre, reading and playing with his grandchildren.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 1975
- Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1972
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: English
- Pennsylvania, 1975
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- Lehigh University Young Alumni Award
- Erie Insurance Exchange
- Forks Township Zoning Hearing Board
- Shay, Santee & Kelhart, Partner, 1985 to 2021
- Sigmong & Ross, Partner, 1975 to 1985
- Northampton County Bar Association, Chair, Insurance Committee
- Northampton County Reporter, Editor
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Member
- American Inns of Court, Member
- Northampton County Bar Association, Attorney-Member, 1975
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Attorney-Member, 1975
Current Employment Position