How to seek compensation after an uninsured motorist hits you

On Behalf of | Aug 19, 2020 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

Car accidents can lead to serious hassles. Yet, most are straightforward to deal as so long as the other motorists involved carry auto insurance. If an uninsured or underinsured driver collides with you, though, you will likely worry you have limited options for recourse. Thanks to Pennsylvania’s no-fault insurance laws, you can protect yourself from significant out-of-pocket expenses.

Pennsylvania’s insurance laws

Pennsylvania’s no-fault insurance laws force you to pursue any claims after your auto accident through your own carrier. Yet, to receive compensation when an uninsured or underinsured motorist hits you, you must have specific policy coverage.

State law does not require you to carry uninsured motorist (UM) or underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. Yet, these supplemental policies will help provide for expenses you incur due to injuries. Keep in mind that UM and UIM policies will not cover damages to your vehicle. You will use your collision coverage to compensate these. In Pennsylvania, this policy is optional as well. But most lenders and banks will mandate you have it if you lease or finance a vehicle.

Options beyond insurance

Your insurance coverage may be comprehensive. However, it may fail to compensate for any pain and suffering you experience after your accident. Plus, your policies’ limits may fail to cover the full scope of your injuries or your vehicle’s damages. In these cases, you have the option of filing a civil lawsuit against the at-fault motorist. Pennsylvania’s statute of limitations gives you two years after the date of your accident to do so. These limits apply to both personal injury and property damage cases.

After an uninsured motorist collides with you, remember that you have options for moving forward. Understanding these will help you achieve a fair result.